- Didier Murcia AM
- Grant Pestell
- Evan Hillard
- Nigel Pakes
- Greg O'Shannessy
- Mark Burchnall
- Greg Wheatley
- Natalie Quek
LL.B BA (Director)
Mark holds a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Arts from Flinders University.
Admitted in 2000, Mark Burchnall is the head of our corporate practice and specialises in work for energy & resources, technology and innovation clients.
Mark has over 20 years of corporate, commercial, energy and resources and technology-related legal experience, both with national Australian law firms and in-house for a number of international mining and oil & gas clients. He also spent over 6 years working directly in the mining industry in senior manager and director-level positions for several international, pubilicly listed companies (including 4 years based in London) and has been a founding director of a number of start-up companies.
Mark has a deep operational and strategic understanding of the energy and resources and innovation sectors and a broad industry contact base in addition to highly-developed legal skills. He has an in-depth understanding of executing projects and transactions both in Australia and internationally, including associated legal, regulatory and operational challenges.
Mark has structured, managed and led key corporate transactions ranging from public listed company takeovers and mergers by scheme of arrangement to share and asset sale and purchase arrangements, joint venture agreements and intra-group restructures (with the associated management and coordination of internal and external teams).
His experience includes:
- Asset and share acquisitions and divestments (including takeovers and mergers by scheme of arrangement).
- IPO and reverse takeover transactions.
- Farm-in/farm-out and joint venture arrangements in relation to the mining and oil & gas sectors.
- Corporate and group restructures.
- Advising on a wide range of corporate governance issues and incentive schemes.
- Providing advice to listed entities and their directors in relation to a wide range of compliance related matters.
- Capital raisings, rights issues and other funding mechanisms.
- Due diligence investigations and reports.
- Providing a wide range of legal and strategic advice to emerging innovation companies.
Some of the transactions with which he has been involved include:
Energy & resources
- Advising on a significant multi-jurisdictional oil & gas asset acquisition transaction, including project-managing international lawyers, coordinating due diligence, negotiation of an extensive suite of transaction documents and providing strategic Board-level advice.
- Acting for an internationally-focused minerals explorer and developer in relation to key operational contracts, including long-term and life of mine offtake arrangements for projects in multiple jurisdictions.
- Negotiating farm-in arrangements with major international resources companies on behalf of ASX-listed emerging gold and mineral sands entities.
- Acting for an ASX-listed oil and gas explorer and producer in connection with the sale of its onshore US assets for approximately $20 million.
- Providing strategic advice to the Boards of listed minerals explorers, developers and producers on key issues concerning their assets, transactions and development of their projects.
- Advising an international trading company on a proposed $2 billion acquisition of offshore oil & gas assets.
- Advising an oil and gas and LNG producer on various significant offshore oil & gas projects.
Technology and innovation
- Acting on the acquisition and listing on the ASX of (and $12 million IPO capital raising in relation to) an IT business specialising in Enterprise Asset Management (EAM), including associated due diligence, transaction funding and project management tasks.
- Advising a multi-billion dollar international company and its Australian subsidiary on the $120 million acquisition of an ASX-listed public company.
- Acting in connection with the $340 million acquisition of an ASX-listed IT and technology company.
- Advising an artificial intelligence and machine learning company on its ASX listing, associated $8 million IPO capital raising and all facets of its business operations.
- Acting on the sale by a listed IT company of its data centre assets for approximately $12 million.
- Acting for an emerging provider of vehicle information solutions on all aspects of a multi-million dollar transaction with a leading global automotive manufacturer.
- Assisting several private digital technology and other innovation companies in relation to the growth and scaling of their businesses, including providing legal and strategic advice to prepare them for external investment and drafting and advising associated information memoranda.